Adventure Day
So every once in a while, hubby and I like to have an "adventure" day. We go out around noon, and stay out all day with only a vague idea of what we want to do or where we want to go.
Today we started by by heading to Downtown Los Angeles for E3, one of the biggest video game conferences in the world. We did not get to play with Nintendo's new console, Wii (the line was 3+ hours long), which is what we were most looking forward to. But we got to see the new expansion for World of Warcraft (yup, I'm a geek - and a level 60!), some cool new Sonic the Hedgehog games, and who knows what else... it was fun. The Lucas Arts booth was in it's own room... by appointment only. If ever I needed another reason to hate George Lucas, his elitist attitude is it.
We wrapped up pretty quick (since we weren't going to wait in line for Wii) and headed for a late lunch in Los Feliz at our favorite hipster diner, Fred 62s. I bought a cheap toy ring from a vending machine as a souvenir of our adventure day. A quick stop at MAC cosmetics (eyeliner for me; mother's day gift for mother-in-law) and then we went to Graumann's Theatre to see "Poseidon."
We chose the WORST possible day to go. If you have ever been to Hollywood, you know that there are always people in awful costumes walking around in front of Graumann's, dressed as movie characters. To promote the upcoming "Snakes on a Motherfucking Plane," there were a half-dozen people walking around with enormous boa constrictors wrapped about their necks. I HATE SNAKES! I have a truly irrational phobia of snakes. It's really, really bad. I cowered near the door of the theatre, waiting desperately to be let in. The snake handlers, like the rest of the character people, can't come into the courtyard, so I was safe. And amusingly enough, one of the employees of the theatre mistook us for tourists and told us all about the "really cool" premieres they have held there. If I hadn't been so terrified I would have laughed at the guy.
"Poseidon" was awesome. I LOVE disaster movies - one of my favorite genres. The movie was enjoyable - non-stop action, and not too much time spent on emotional beats. One thing would have made it perfect: sharks.
After the movie we headed out to the Santa Monica Pier. Even though my husband and I are both born and raised in Los Angeles, neither of us had ever been to the Pier (when we got there, we realized it was with good reason - it's not very interesting). We ate dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp (it wasn't as good as I remember it being). At the pier was a nomadic art show called Ashes and Snow. We intended to go in, but they were closed by the time we finished dinner.
And so concludes our adventure day. Any suggestions for future adventures?

1 Comments:
Ideas for bonding (no, not BONDAGE - BONDING *wink*)....
Huntington Gardens:www.huntington.org
Hiking above Zuma Beach
Farmers Market
Getty Museum
Mulholland Drive (go look at all of the houses neither of us will ever be able to afford).
Shopping on Abbot Kinney (Venice Beach)
Go be one with the Venice Beach freaks.
Palm Springs Tram.
Sea World.
La Brea Tarpits.
MOCA.
Hudson Theater (on Santa Monica Blvd. It is a local theater - it is awesome and cheap and they have good coffee!).
Go see a taping of THE - WHEEL - OF - FORTUNNNNNNNE
Watts Tower (in the middle of the day!)
Drive the 1.
Go to a baseball game, buy a beer (even if you don't drink it - the smell adds to the ambiance - and a hot dog -again, smell factor-)
Do a "Come and knock on our door" tour .... ride a bike on Santa Monica Beach paths.
Fly a kite up at Zuma Beach (it is always windy)
Santa Monica Farmer's Market (if you are ever bored on a Wednesday)
Tito's Tacos (that is an adventure all in itself, including AFTERWARD)
Mission Beach (San Diego)
Can you tell I like to check out California?
Lots of Love,
~The Wedding Planner~
Post a Comment
<< Home