San Francisco: Day 1
Hubby and I are not great travelers but we decided it was time to get out of Los Angeles for a bit. We decided to take a trip up to San Francisco. Yes that is right. It is 9:00 pm, we are on vacation, and we are both sitting on the bed, pounding away on our Macs. Isn't it romantic?
Like I said, we are not great travelers. I always get a little bit anxious going to new places, and hubby hasn't been anywhere except for Vegas in many years. After the Bahamas trip though, this seems like a breeze, and I am feeling a little more adventurous than normal.
The plane ride was quick and uneventful. When we arrived in Oakland we took a shuttle from the airport to the subway, then a subway from Oakland to San Fran, where we wandered for a few minutes until we found a taxi to take us directly to our hotel. Hubby fell on top of me when we were on the shuttle. We are from Los Angeles - we have never taken public transportation before!
The hotel is great, very modern and classy. We got to our room, and there was a fruit platter with chocolates and wine waiting for us - courtesy of the in-laws. How sweet! We got situated for a bit, then left for dinner. We chose the Tonga Room in the Fairmont Hotel, on a friend's recommendation.
We decided to walk there because it was less than a mile away and I love to walk. I forgot to take into account all the hills in SF (LA is flat) so it was a nightmare for my out-of-shape hubby. He was very very pissed. I handled the walk fine. We got to the hotel - a beautiful classy place, and found the restaurant. The Tonga Room is an over-the-top tiki room restaurant. In the center is a huge pool with a small floating boat that holds the band (they weren't playing when we went). Every half an hour, there was a "hurricane" with thunder and lighting effects, and rain into the pool. We ate wonton soup, crispy striped bass with sweet n sour sauce (the fish was whole and very delicious) and pineapple cheesecake for dessert. It was really delicious. Once hubby's heart calmed down and he had some water, he was able to relax and ended up LOVING the restaurant. I did too. I only wish we had remembered the camera!
We wisely took a taxi back to the hotel and stayed in for the rest of the evening. He is exhausted and neither of us are into clubbing, so there isn't a lot of other things to do. Tomorrow will be spent on Fisherman's Wharf, touring Alcatraz, and checking out some other touristy spots. Thursday hubby promised to devote to shopping... since I love it more than anything.

1 Comments:
I know what you mean about travelling. Last time I travelled was to a neighboring state last year. ::takes mental note of hills in case she ever goes to SF::
Post a Comment
<< Home